- Match: West Indies vs Sri Lanka
- Date: November 4, 2021
- Start Time: 2:00pm
- Stadium: Sheikh Zayed Stadium
- Tournament: ICC Men’s T20 World Cup – 2021 – 35th Match
- Format: T20I
Sri Lanka won by 20 runs
West Indies vs Sri Lanka Stats and Trends
West Indies Trends
- Played: 4
- Won: 1
- Lost: 3
- NRR: -1.5580
- Last 5 results: L, W, L, L
The West Indies scored their first win in the last match over Bangladesh. They still have an outside chance of qualifying if they get a win here. They would need some favourable results so it is quite a long shot.
They have 2 points so far and can get a maximum of 6 from their remaining 2 matches. As one of those is against Australia it could be a straight shootout for 2nd. South Africa currently has 6 points and have 1 match remaining – against high flying England. It is possible it will all come down to net run rate so West Indies could do with a win here by a large margin.
In the opening match West Indies was very poor. The 55 all out is still the lowest score of the tournament so far. They improved against South Africa with 143/8 bust failed to take enough wickets and South Africa won with 10 balls to spare.
We have not seen much from the West Indies that makes us think they will qualify from this group!
West Indies Last Match vs Bangladesh
West Indies won by 3 runs
The West Indies made hard work of this match with Gayle, 4 runs, and Lewis, 6 runs, disappointing again. This World Cup has been a big letdown for these two who had the potential to star in the runs leaderboard. It was down to Nicholas Pooran, batting 7th, to save the score. His 40 from 22 balls along with Jason Holders 15 off 5 saved them from further embarrassment.
With the ball it was close. Bangladesh fell 3 runs short in the chase despite a very good effort. Each of the Windies bowlers took 1 wicket with Jason Holder having the best figures with a 5.5 economy rate.
Sri Lanka Trends
- Played: 5
- Won: 2
- Lost: 3
- NRR: -0.2690
- Last 5 results: W, L, L, L, W
Although they only have 1 win so far and will not qualify, Sri Lanka has given a good account of themselves. Hasaranga leads the wickets table with 14 and has shown the incredible quality that he has at T20 level. Theekshana has taken 8 wickets for just 116 runs and Kumra also has 8 but has been much more expensive, going for 194 runs.
There should be plenty of optimism going into this match and Sri Lanka has every chance of ending the tournament with a win to restore some pride in the team.
Sri Lanka Last Match vs England
England won by 26 runs
This was a spirited performance from Sri Lanka and they gave England a good match for a while. They could not handle Jos Buttler who smashed 101 not out for 67 balls – there is no shame in that the way Buttler is playing currently. Hasaranga bowled well taking 3/21 from 4 overs. Sri Lanka had England at 35/3 before Buttler and Morgan dug in to save the score. The 164 target always looked high for Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka struggled to build any big partnerships with the bat. They just could not get close to the run rate needed and ended up 137 all out from 19 overs. Hasaranga was also the top performer with the bat, scoring 34 from 21 runs which was an impressive innings.
West Indies vs Sri Lanka Match Prediction
The Cricketics team have sat down and discussed this game as it is an interesting battle. History tells us that the West Indies should be a strong team with all the firepower they have – but they have been a big letdown so far. As one of the lesser fancied nations, Sri Lanka is at good odds to win this match and cannot be ignored at the prices quoted. The pressure is off them for this match which could work in their favour.
Predicted result: Sri Lanka to win
Predicted scores if batting first:
West Indies 120/8
Sri Lanka 140/6
Here are some other previews you may like
- Match: Lucknow Super Giants v Chennai Super Kings Date: 31st March 2022 Stadium: Brabourne Stadium, Mumbai Trends & Recent Form LSG and CSK meet for the first time and both lost their opening game. History points to CSK bouncing back here. We will look over the stats and the squads before making our match prediction. […]
- Match: Royal Challengers Bangalore v Kolkata Knight Riders Date: 30th Match 2022 Stadium: Dr. DY Patil Sports Academy, Navi Mumbai Trends & Recent Form Royal Challenges comes into the match looking for their first win of the IPL. KKR started well with a good win over last season’s champions – Chennai Super Kings. Here we […]
- Match: Sunrisers Hyderabad v Rajasthan Royals Date: 28th Match 2022 Stadium: Cricket Association Mumbai. Trends & Recent Form The teams predicted to be the bottom two go head to head in the first match and both will be looking to start with a win. For the third year in a row, Sunrisers are the favourites […]