- Match: West Indies vs Australia
- Date: July 9, 2021
- Start Time: 11:30pm
- Stadium: Darren Sammy National Cricket Stadium
- Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2021 – 1st T20I
- Format: T20I
West Indies won by 18 runs
The West Indies have a strong squad going into this 5 match T20 series. They are ranked lower than Australia in the T20 world but have some explosive players in the squad. They will be looking to build some form for the T20 World Cup that takes place later this year.
- West Indies are currently ranked 8th in the world in the T20 format.
- Evin Lewis has moved up to 9th in the world T20 batting rankings. He was in good form in the last series and is our player to watch in this T20 series. He has a chance to outperform some of the bigger names in this team.
- Sheldon Cotterill is the highest rated bowler at 24th in the world. It is the bowling attack that could hold the West Indies back in this T20 series. We are expecting some big scores in these matches!
- The West Indies lost their last T20 series to South Africa 3-2. This was an interesting tour and the West Indies form was up and down. West Indies chased in 4 matches and were limited by the South African bowlers. If they win the toss then they should opt to bat first.
- Australia warmed up for this match with a 22 man intra-squad match. Marsh, Christian and Turner top-scored with the bat. Meredith and Tye took 2 wickets each. Whist this has little bearing on this match it is good to see which players are in good form.
- Australia is slightly under their best with the following players missing through injury, rest or by choice – Pat Cummings, David Warner, Steve Smith, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Daniel Sams and Marcus Stoinis.
- Matthew Wade comes into the Australian T20 team stating he has “nothing to lose”. In his own works he’s never cemented a place in international cricket and with the T20 World Cup later in the year, he knows he has a chance to make the squad with a big performance this series.
- Based on the pitch conditions Ashton Agar thinks spin will be key in the power play for both teams. This is an interesting view as Australia has the better spinners and this could be just the usual Aussie big talk!
- Australia is the 4th ranked team in T20 cricket.
- Arron Finch is the top-ranked T20 batsman at 2nd in the world. Ashton Agar is the 3rd highest rated T20 bowler in the world. These 2 players will be key to the performance of Australia with the changed squad they have taken.
West Indies vs Australia Match Prediction
This is an interesting looking series with the West Indies doing okay against higher-ranked South Africa. Australia comes into the series with a mixed squad after leaving many star names at home. The series will be good to watch to see how the up and coming Australian player fair. We think it will be a more even match up than the world rankings make it look. Home advantage may help the West Indies.
Match prediction – West Indies to win
After some discussion among the team, we have gone for the West Indies to win this match. Looking at the squad it should be an even game, we think the batting lineup of the West Indies will give them the edge in this match.
West Indies vs Australia Stats
Player Stats this season
Top Batters This Season
Top Bowlers This Season
West Indies Last Match vs South Africa
After taking the first wicket win no runs on the board the West Indies failed to take another one until the 14th over, by which time South Africa was on 128 runs. They still only set a score of 169 to win.
West Indies kept losing runs and fell well short in the run chase. Fice of the players was out before they had got to 10 runs. Andre Russell went for a duck.
Australia Last Match vs New Zealand
In this match, Australia got stuffed by New Zealand to lose the T20 series 3-2. They were poor with the bat setting a below-par score of 143. New Zealand chased this down with 27 balls to spare. Australia will need to be considerably better than this to win this match.
Here are some other previews you may like
- Birmingham Phoenix vs Oval Invincibles – August 4, 2021 Predictions: Can Livingstone fire Phoenix to glory?Match: Birmingham Phoenix vs Oval Invincibles Date: August 4, 2021 Start Time: 6:00pm Stadium: Edgbaston Tournament: The Hundred – 2021 – 18th Match Format: 100-Ball Birmingham Phoenix vs Oval Invincibles Stats and Trends Birmingham Phoenix Trends Played: 2 Won: 1 Lost: 1 NRR: -1.5830 Last 5 results: L, W Birmingham Phoenix has now played 4 […]
- West Indies vs Pakistan – August 3, 2021 Predictions: Will Babar Azam lead Pakistan to a series win?Match: West Indies vs Pakistan Date: August 3, 2021 Start Time: 3:00pm Stadium: Providence Stadium Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2021 – 4th T20I Format: T20I West Indies vs Pakistan Stats and Trends West Indies Trends West Indies can tie the series with a win. The current score is 1-0 after 2 matches have been washed […]
- London Spirit vs Northern Superchargers – August 3, 2021 Predictions: Why the stats point to a SuperChargers win!Match: London Spirit vs Northern Superchargers Date: August 3, 2021 Start Time: 5:30pm Stadium: Lord’s Tournament: The Hundred – 2021 – 17th Match Format: 100-Ball Result Northern Superchargers won by 63 runs London Spirit vs Northern Superchargers Stats and Trends London Spirit Trends Played: 3 Won: 0 Lost: 2 NRR: -0.4540 Last 5 results: L, […]