- Match: West Indies vs Australia
- Date: July 24, 2021
- Start Time: 6:30pm
- Stadium: Kensington Oval
- Tournament: ICC Cricket World Cup Super League – 2020/2023 – 2nd ODI
- Format: ODI
West Indies won by 4 wickets (with 72 balls remaining)
West Indies Trends
- West Indies lost the first match to the DLS method after rain stopped play. Australia had completed 29 overs and were 252/9.
- This was an excellent performance by the West Indies to take wickets and limit Australia to an achievable score. 257 to win in ODI cricket with the West Indies batting lineup should have been an easy win for them.
- Hayden Walsh Jr was on fire with 5/39 from 10 overs and would have been the man of the match had West Indies won. His 3.90 economy was the best in the team with Alzarri Joseph finishing 2/40 as the second best. He took all of the last 5 wickets for the team cleaning out the tail.
- Alzarri Joseph’s 2 wickets were critical in the match taking Ben McDermott for 20 and Mitchell Marsh for 20. Bith players looked to have got a steady start to build from and their wickets really took the momentum away from Australia.
- We expected the West Indies to chase the score down relatively easily but wickets were their undoing. Evin Lewis has been playing really well in the previous series was out the first ball. He hard-handed a straight one back to Mitchell Stack who took the catch low for a c & b.
- The top order for the West Indies then had a nightmare with scores of 11,2,2,0. Batting 6th Kieron Pollard top-scored with 56 runs from 57 balls including 3 sixes. When his wicket fell at 98/8 the match was all but over. Hayden Walsh Jr, who had earlier impressed with the ball, was the second-highest scorer with 20 runs!
- After the match, a clearly disappointed Kieron Pollard said that the batters needed to first ore for their wicket. He said they need to find a way to handle the new ball better and score more against this Australian attack.
- Australia will have been delighted to get the ODI series off to a win after losing the T20 series 4-1. The win was down to their bowling attacks performance with the new ball.
- The score of 252/9 in 49 overs before the rain just never felt like it was quite enough. The top order did not kick on and get a big score. Alex Caret was the top batsman with 67 runs and no one else made a half-century – Ashton Turner was 2nd highest with 49 from 45 balls.
- It did seem the rain helped Australia with the changes to the conditions and the DLS total.
- Mitchell Strac was in great form with the ball taking 5/48 from 8 overs. There were also some notable performances in terms of the economy from short stints – Josh Hazelwood with a ridiculous 11/3 from 6 overs and Wes Aga with 0/15 from 6 overs. It was this bowling that won Australia the match.
- Prior to this ODI match, Australia lost the T20 series 4-1 and the West Indies looked to be in the driving seat. Australia will need a big performance here again in order to win the series.
- The Player of the match Mitchell Starc said it was a good team performance. He praised Alex Carey for his innings and his role in captaining the Australian team for the first time.
- First-time captain Alex Carey said after the match he thought it was a competitive score and that when Starc and Hazelwood get going it is hard to play against them.
- After watching this match we have to agree with them on that, they are probably one of the best 1-2 attacks in the world when they are in their groove.
West Indies vs Australia Match Prediction
After the 4-1 win in the T20’s, it looked like West Indies should be the favorites to win the ODI series too. They were excellent in the T20 matches and usually, that form translates well to ODI cricket. That was not the case in this match and they struggled to get to grips with the new ball in the power play. We are expecting a lot more from them in this match.
Predicted result: West Indies to win
Predicted scores if batting first:
West Indies: 280-300/7
West Indies vs Australia Stats
Player Stats this season
Top Batters This Season
Top Bowlers This Season
West Indies Last Match vs Australia
You can see from the top batting table that they struggled to score enough runs.
Australia Last Match vs West Indies
A good performance all around from Australia. They could have done with 30 more runs in our opinion but they defended the total very well.
Here are some other previews you may like
- Match: India vs Pakistan Date: October 24, 2021 Start Time: 2:00pm Stadium: Dubai International Cricket Stadium Tournament: ICC Men’s T20 World Cup – 2021 – 16th Match Format: T20I India vs Pakistan Stats and Trends India Trends India looks ready to go for the T20 World Cup after 2 very good wins in the warm-up […]
- Match: Chennai Super Kings vs Kolkata Knight Riders Date: October 15, 2021 Start Time: 2:00pm Stadium: Dubai International Cricket Stadium Tournament: Indian Premier League – 2021 – Final Format: T20 Result Chennai Super Kings won by 27 runs Chennai Super Kings vs Kolkata Knight Riders Stats and Trends Chennai Super Kings Trends Played: 14 Won: […]
- Match: Delhi Capitals vs Kolkata Knight Riders Date: October 13, 2021 Start Time: 2:00pm Stadium: Sharjah Cricket Stadium Tournament: Indian Premier League – 2021 – Qualifier 2 Format: T20 Result Kolkata Knight Riders won by 3 wickets (with 1 ball remaining) Delhi Capitals vs Kolkata Knight Riders Stats and Trends Delhi Capitals Trends Played: 14 […]