Match: 1st ODI of 3
Date: Wednesday 10th March, 2021
Time: 7 PM India
Stadium: Sir Vivian Richards Stadium
Trends & Recent Form
West Indies form
- West Indies have just recorded a 2-1 in a 3 match T20 series. They now have 3 ODI matches before a 2 match test series.
- West Indies did a great job of keeping the runs down in the T20 matches, Sri Lanka averaged just over 140 runs in the three matches.
- Fabien Allen has been in relatively good form, he’s got a few runs and bowled at a good economy in the T20’s. He picked up the man of the match award in the final T20 match.
- Big hitter, Chris Gayle, has been a little off his best recording scores of 0, 16 & 13. He is yet to get a strike rate of over 100, which is very rare on home soil.
- None of the bowlers have really stood out in the T20 series. They have all picked up the odd wickets but no one got more than 2 wickets in any of the matches. They have performed well if you consider them as a unit in each match.
Sri Lanka form
- Sri Lanka slumped to a 2-1 defeat to the West Indies. They batted first in every match and top-scored with 160/6 in the second T20. In the other 2 matches, they only scored 131 runs on both occasions.
- Danushka Gunathilaka and Pathum Nissanka were the pick of the batsman and both scored well in the first and second T20 matches.
- Angelo Matthews is the top-rated batsman for Sri Lanka in the world rankings, he’s currently at a lowly 36th in the world.
- Akila Dananjaya is the top-rated bowler in the ODI ratings, he’s currently 19th in the world and just above Australia Mitchell Stark.
Head to head stats
T20 series results
- 3/3/21 – WI won by 4 wickets with 41 balls remaining
- Sri Lanka 131/9 (20)
- West Indies 134/6 (13.1)
- 5-3-21 – SL won by 43 runs
- Sri Lanka 160/6 (20)
- West Indies 117 (18.4)
- 7-3-21 WI won by 3 wickets with 6 balls remaining
- Sri Lanka 131.4 (20)
- West Indies 134/7 (19)
Match Prediction & Tips
The bookmakers odds has the West Indies at 66.7% chance of winning this match. That does seem a little high to us and offers no real value.
The West Indies are the stronger team and that usually prevails in these matches. That said Gayle isn’t playing in this match and Sri Lanka has every chance of getting a win to start the ODI series off. They showed in the second T20 that if they can take early wickets and get the West Indies under pressure then they can get a win.
Match Result: Sri Lanka to win at 13/8*
Were happy to take Sri Lanka here and would like to see the West Indies bat first. Whilst this offers good value we would advise a smaller stake on this one as it is not one of the most confident predictions. Read on for some more tips where we have seen better value for this match.
Here aere some other value picks we have found from the stats and form.
- Pick 1: Nissanka top Sri Lanka batsman 4/1*
We have highlighted the form of Nissanka in the T20 series where he performed well in the first two matches. It is worth waiting until the teams are announced to back this pick, just to make sure he isn’t rested for this match after playing all 3 T20s.
- Pick 2: A hundred to be scored in the match 1/1
This is more a cover bet if the West Indies bat first. If they do put on a big score then the odds of 1/1 for a century to be hit would be good value. We will wait for the toss before backing this bet and only take it of the West Indies bat first.
*Odds & Responsible gambling
All odds that appear are subject to change at any time. They are correct as stated at the time of publishing the article and are taken from various betting sites in India.
Please gamble responsibly, no tips or bets are guaranteed to win. Do not bet more than you can afford to lose. For help with problem gambling please visit gamblingtherapy.org.
Like this preview? why not share it?
Here are some other previews you may like
Match: Ireland vs South Africa Date: August 5, 2022 Start Time: 5:30pm Stadium: County Ground Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2022 – 2nd T20I Format: T20I Result South Africa won by
Match: Netherlands vs New Zealand Date: August 4, 2022 Start Time: 3:00pm Stadium: Sportpark Westvliet Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2022 – 1st T20I Format: T20I Result New Zealand won by