Match: West Indies v South Africa T20
Date: 29th June 2021
Format: T20 – 3rd of 5.
Stadium: Grenada National Cricket Stadium
Trends & Recent Form
The T20 series carries on with the team tied 1-1 coming into the 3rd match of this 5 match series.
The West Indies won the first match comfortably and then South Africa tied the series up with a reasonable win.
Here we preview the 3rd match and take a look at both teams recent stats. We will then make our match predictions and select our Dream 11 players to watch.
West Indies form
T20 World Ranking: 10th
- Top Batsman: 13th – Evin Lewis
- Top Bowler: 13th – Sheldon Cottrell
Latest stats and trends
- The West Indies sits 10th in the world T20 rankings. They are just 3 points from moving to 8th and have played significantly more games, 20, than the 2 teams above them (13 & 16 matches).
- In the last match, West Indies bowled first and limited SA to 166/7. This looked like an achievable score on the pitch and the West Indies looked to be the favourites at this point.
- The West Indies started the chase well with the openers putting on 21 and 25. We expect a lot better from Chris Gayle, Nicholas Pooran and Kieron Pollard than the 8,9 & 1 they got respectively. They lost 3 wickets for 8 wins across 2 overs. This was a hammer blow to their chances.
- Bowler Fabian Allen gave them hope with 24 off 12 balls, including 5 sixes but it was too late as they fell 16 runs short in the end.
- Andre Fletcher was the top bat with 35 and Obed McCoy was the top bowler with 3/25 from 4.
- In the first T20, Fabien Allen was the top bowler with 2/18 from 4 and Even Lewis was the top batsman with 71 from 35 balls – an explosive inning with 7 sixes as he took the player of the match award.
South Africa form
T20 World Ranking: 10th
- Top Batsman: 6th -Rassie Van Der Dussen
- Top Bowler: 1st – Tabraiz Shamsi
Latest stats and trends
- South Africa showed their class with a win in the last match. They were off with the ball in the first match and unable to handle the hitting of Lewis, Gayle and Russell.
- Rassie Van Der Dussen was the top batsman in this match with 56 runs from 38 balls and Tabraiz Shamsi was the top bowler with 1/27 from 4. Lungi Ngidi was well off line and length with his 3 overs going for 46!
- In the last match, Temba Bavuma was the top batsman with 46 from 33 balls and Kagiso Rabada was the top bowler with 3/37 from 4. George Linde took the man of the match award with impressive figures of 2/19.
- The bowling attack of South Africa was impressive in this match taking key wickets at key times. A score of 166 against this West Indies batting lineup did not look enough bub The economy of Shamsi, 4.0, and Linde, 4.75, help gain a vital win in the series.
Head to head stats
Tour so far
- 1st T20 26/6/21
- South Africa 160/6 (20)
- West Indies 161/2 (15)
- West Indies win by 8 wickets with 30 balls remaining.
- 2nd T20 27/6/21
- South Africa 166/7 (20)
- West Indies 150/9 (20)
- South Africa win by 16 runs
Match Prediction: South Africa to win
The South African blowing attack has the worlds best T20 bowler currently. When they work well they are an excellent bowling unit and can damage any team.
In the last match, we saw the impact of this with them restricting the West Indies to 150 runs. We would be interested to see how the match goes if South Africa bats first as they have only chased so far.
The West Indies are listed as the favourites for this match but we see the two teams as relatively level, allowing for the home advantage.
Dream 11 Players to Watch
We have selected our key players for your dream 11 teams. We’ve looked at the recent form and selected our players of value.
Dream 11 selections
- E Lewis
- A Russell
- de Kock
- van der Dussen
- George Linde
- Kevin Sinclair
Like this preview? why not share it?
Here are some other previews you may like
Birmingham Phoenix vs Oval Invincibles – August 4, 2021 Predictions: Can Livingstone fire Phoenix to glory?
Match: Birmingham Phoenix vs Oval Invincibles Date: August 4, 2021 Start Time: 6:00pm Stadium: Edgbaston Tournament: The Hundred – 2021 – 18th Match Format: 100-Ball
West Indies vs Pakistan – August 3, 2021 Predictions: Will Babar Azam lead Pakistan to a series win?
Match: West Indies vs Pakistan Date: August 3, 2021 Start Time: 3:00pm Stadium: Providence Stadium Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2021 – 4th T20I Format: T20I
London Spirit vs Northern Superchargers – August 3, 2021 Predictions: Why the stats point to a SuperChargers win!
Match: London Spirit vs Northern Superchargers Date: August 3, 2021 Start Time: 5:30pm Stadium: Lord’s Tournament: The Hundred – 2021 – 17th Match Format: 100-Ball