- Match: Sri Lanka vs South Africa
- Date: September 10, 2021
- Start Time: 1:30pm
- Stadium: R.Premadasa Stadium
- Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2021 – 1st T20I
- Format: T20I
South Africa won by 28 runs
Sri Lanka vs South Africa Stats and Trends
Sri Lanka Trends
Sri Lanka has just won the ODI series with South Africa 2-1 and now moves onto a 3 match T20 series.
Sri Lanka’s recent form at home has improved and they will be full of confidence going into this T20 series.
Across the series, Sri Lanka was a good match for South Africa despite being lower ranked in the world for ODI & T20 cricket.
Sri Lanka Top Batters
Sri Lanka will be reliant on their batting lineup. they have performed well over the ODI series, especially in the first match where they clocked up 300/9 in the 50 overs.
Sri Lanka Top Bowlers
It is Sri Lanka’s bowlers who have impressed us the most. They have bowled well as a unit and Hasaranga is a top-class bowler. In the last ODI they bowled South Africa out in 30 overs for just 125 runs taking a win by 78 runs. This was an impressive match to watch.
Sri Lanka Last Match vs India
Sri Lanka won by 7 wickets (with 33 balls remaining)
|Dhananjaya de Silva|
In their last T20 series, v India, Sri Lanka took an unexpected 2-1 series win. India was a slightly depleted side but that should not take away from how well Sri Lanka played. We, like most, were expecting a 3-0 series win by India.
After losing the first match Sri Lanka fought back to win the next 2 matches. In this match, they were on fire with the ball. They held India to 81/8 from 20 overs, with Hasaranga the main man. His figures of 4 wickets for 9 runs from 4 overs were some of the best we’ve seen in his T20 career. Sri Lanka coasted to the win with 33 balls remaining losing just 3 wickets. Hasaranga won the player of the match and the player of the series award, unsurprisingly. He will be the key to Sri Lanka’s chances in this series.
South Africa Trends
South Africa’s ODI struggles were unexpected. As the higher-ranked team, they should have breezed through Sri Lanka but they have not got to grips with the Sri Lankan pitches and their bowling!
Across the 3 matches, their only ODI win came via the D/L method which left Sri Lanka chasing 265 in 41 overs which would have been some feat.
South Africa Top Batters
|Rassie van der Dussen|
Markram has scored well in T20 cricket this season. Rassie van der Dussen will be a key batter in this T20 series.
South Africa Top Bowlers
Shamsi has been the best bowler for South Africa this year. He has a good record for taking wickets at a decent average in T20 cricket.
South Africa Last Match vs West Indies
South Africa won by 25 runs
|Quinton de Kock|
South Africa won the series with the West Indies 3-2 in what was a good series to watch. Most of the matches were close with 4 of them being won by 25 runs or less. One of the matches was won by South Africa by 1 run.
After this South Africa put away Ireland 3-0 as you would expect. South Africa batted first on all 3 occasions setting 166, 150, and 190 to win. The closest Ireland got was 33 runs.
Sri Lanka vs South Africa Match Prediction
This should be an interesting series with Sri Lanka on the front foot. They have done well against South Africa in the ODI series and have been playing well all year. On paper South Africa has the better players but they have struggled to handle the Sri Lankan bowling attack. Managing Hasaranga’s 4 overs will be critical for them. If we were South Africa we’d play him for singles and look to score off the other bowlers rather than attack.
Match prediction: Sri Lanka to win a close match.
Series prediction: Sri Lanka wins 2-1
Predicted scores (If batting first)
Sri Lanka 180/7
South Africa 170/9
Here are some other previews you may like
- Match: Sussex vs Kent Date: September 18, 2021 Start Time: 1:30pm Stadium: Edgbaston Tournament: T20 Blast – 2021 – Semi Final Format: T20 Result Kent won by 21 runs Sussex vs Kent Stats and Trends Sussex Trends Played: 14 Won: 6 Lost: 3 NRR: 0.4790 Last 5 results: W, L, W, W, L The semi-finals […]
- Match: Hampshire vs Somerset Date: September 18, 2021 Start Time: 10:00am Stadium: Edgbaston Tournament: T20 Blast – 2021 – Semi Final Format: T20 Result Somerset won by 2 wickets (with 2 balls remaining) Hampshire vs Somerset Stats and Trends Hampshire Trends Played: 14 Won: 6 Lost: 5 NRR: 0.3880 Last 5 results: W, W, W, […]
- Match: Punjab Kings vs Rajasthan Royals Date: September 21, 2021 Start Time: 2:00pm Stadium: Dubai International Cricket Stadium Tournament: Indian Premier League – 2021 – 32nd Match Format: T20 Result Rajasthan Royals won by 2 runs Punjab Kings vs Rajasthan Royals Stats and Trends Punjab Kings Trends Played: 9 Won: 3 Lost: 6 NRR: -0.3450 […]