- Match: Sri Lanka vs India
- Date: July 23, 2021
- Start Time: 9:30am
- Stadium: R.Premadasa Stadium
- Tournament: ICC Cricket World Cup Super League – 2020/2023 – 3rd ODI
- Format: ODI
Sri Lanka won by 3 wickets (with 48 balls remaining) (D/L method)
Sri Lanka ODI Trends
- Sri Lanka improved in the second ODI and really made a match of it. Although they did lose again it was a much closer match. The performance of the bowlers was much improved.
- Sri Lanka was unlucky not to get a win after the India tail-enders put a performance, getting 80 for the final wicket.
- Sri Lanka won the toss and elected to bat. The openers started well putting on 77 for the first wicket. When Rajapaksa went for a duck it looked like Sri Lanka could collapse again but de Sliva, 32 runs, Asalanka 65 runs, and Karunaratne 44 runs helped build the score. Karunarante’s 44 off 33 balls at the end of the innings was particularly impressive.
- With the ball, Sri Lanka took a steady flow of wickets to limit the score of India. the wickets fell for the top order at 28/1, 39/2, 65/3, 115/4, 116/6, 160/6, and 193/7. Sri Lanka was in a good position to win the match with India needing 80 runs and only having 3 wickets remaining. The challenge was the required run rate was low so they could take their time to build the runs.
- They could not get the win but will take a lot of confidence from this performance into this final ODI where a win would give them a good boost for the T20 series that follows.
- After the match captain, Dasun Shankaka said he was proud of the team as it was a tough game. He had some praise fr Deepak Chahar who took 3 wickets dor taking the game away from them. He hopes to improve on the batting in the middle period of the match in the next ODI. He was upbeat for a captain who had just lost and you could tell he could see the positives from the performance.
India ODI Trends
- India sealed the series win 2-0 in the last ODI. They will be looking to make it a 3-0 clean sweep to help build their ODI world rankings. They will have every confidence to do this again as their ODI form is excellent.
- Bowling first Chahal and Kumar both took 3 wickets with Chahal being the top bowler with a 5 economy. Chahal was particularly impressive taking 2 of the top 3 batsmen from Sri Lanka. This included Bhanuka Rajapaksa for a golden duck.
- Deepak Chahar was the only other bowler to take w wicket with 2/53 from 8 overs. He was also the most expensive bowler with an economy of 6.63.
- Krunal Pandya was in good form with an economy of 4.63, the best in the team, but did not take any wickets. His performance was excellent for keeping the pressure on the Sri Lankan batsmen.
- India came into bat needing 278 to win, a total that they should have cruised to based on the first match. They looked to be cruising at 28/0 at the end of the tried over before Shaw was out. Hasaranga got one to stay straight and low and Shaw was clean bowled trying to hit over the offside.
- The wickets kept falling with Ishan Kishan going for 1 after his excellent performance in the first match.
- The usually reliable Shikhar Dhawan was out for 28 and he never really looked to be in his groove. He went LBW, again to Hasaranga and was finally given out after a review by the Sri Lankans. There was no bat on the ball and he was clearly LBW.
- The Indian team kept losing wickets and this win was down to the bowler’s batting performance. Chahar was the top batsman with 69 runs from 82 balls and his innings was supported by Krunal Pandya, 35 runs, and Kumar, 19 runs. Chahar won the match with a 4.
Sri Lanka vs India Match Prediction
We are still expecting India to get another win here. Sri Lanka got themselves some credit from their performance but with the lower run rate required India always looked to have balls and wickets in hand. Hasaranga will be key to any chance Sri Lanka has but they just do not possess enough across the team to really trouble India.
Predicted result: India to win comfortably
Predicted scores if batting first:
Sri Lanka 260-280/8
Sri Lanka vs India Stats
Player Stats this season
Top Batters This Season
Top Bowlers This Season
Sri Lanka Last Match vs India
A generally good performance from Sri Lanka, this will help build some confidence for future matches.
India Last Match vs Sri Lanka
This was a solid performance from India. They can play a lot better than this though!
Here are some other previews you may like
- Birmingham Phoenix vs Oval Invincibles – August 4, 2021 Predictions: Can Livingstone fire Phoenix to glory?Match: Birmingham Phoenix vs Oval Invincibles Date: August 4, 2021 Start Time: 6:00pm Stadium: Edgbaston Tournament: The Hundred – 2021 – 18th Match Format: 100-Ball Birmingham Phoenix vs Oval Invincibles Stats and Trends Birmingham Phoenix Trends Played: 2 Won: 1 Lost: 1 NRR: -1.5830 Last 5 results: L, W Birmingham Phoenix has now played 4 […]
- West Indies vs Pakistan – August 3, 2021 Predictions: Will Babar Azam lead Pakistan to a series win?Match: West Indies vs Pakistan Date: August 3, 2021 Start Time: 3:00pm Stadium: Providence Stadium Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2021 – 4th T20I Format: T20I West Indies vs Pakistan Stats and Trends West Indies Trends West Indies can tie the series with a win. The current score is 1-0 after 2 matches have been washed […]
- London Spirit vs Northern Superchargers – August 3, 2021 Predictions: Why the stats point to a SuperChargers win!Match: London Spirit vs Northern Superchargers Date: August 3, 2021 Start Time: 5:30pm Stadium: Lord’s Tournament: The Hundred – 2021 – 17th Match Format: 100-Ball Result Northern Superchargers won by 63 runs London Spirit vs Northern Superchargers Stats and Trends London Spirit Trends Played: 3 Won: 0 Lost: 2 NRR: -0.4540 Last 5 results: L, […]