- Match: Sri Lanka vs India
- Date: July 20, 2021
- Start Time: 9:30am
- Stadium: R.Premadasa Stadium
- Tournament: ICC Cricket World Cup Super League – 2020/2023 – 2nd ODI
- Format: ODI
India won by 3 wickets (with 5 balls remaining)
Sri Lanka Trends
- It is difficult to see where Sri Lanka goes from here. They are a lower-ranked team and are on a run of losing ODI’s to higher-ranked nations. India just had too much for them, as England did in the previous series.
- Sri Lanka won the toss and started well putting on 49 for the first wicket, the run rate was not the quickest but it was early in the innings.
- The wickets of Rajapaksa and Bhanuka at 85/2 89/3 were the blows to the top order that they struggled to recover from.
- The Sri Lankan batters all seemed to get in and then get out befpre they coudl really build a score. Karunaratne top scored with 43 from 35 balls with a bit of hitting towards the end of teh innings. Only Hasaranga and Udana failed to get to 10 runs. The scores of the other players tell the story – 39, 38, 33, 27, 24. All players who had got themselves into a good positon only to get out.
- To get a better score int his match we think that Sri Lanka needs to be more agressive with the bat. This is hard when the wickets are falling but Karunaratne’s innings showed that runs could be scored at a good rate if they play on the front foot.
India ODI Trends
- India leads this one-day series 1-0 after a comfortable win in the opening match as we predicted. They won by 70 wickets with 80 balls remaining after an excellent performance.
- Prithvi Shaw took the player of the match award after getting 43 runs from 24 balls. After the match, Shaw said the pitch was a good one to bat second on and he was happy to pick up runs from the loose balls. He was disappointed with the way he lost his wicket.
- Captain Shikhar Dhawan was the top scorer with 86 not out from 95 balls. This was exactly the innings that India needed, solid and steady runs. After the match, he praised the spinners for getting turn on the pitch. He also joked that after seeing the younger batters playing he may need to improve his batting skills!
- Krunal Pandya was the player who did the damage with the ball. He took 1 wicket but conceded just 26 runs in 10 overs. He had 1 maiden. It was his economy that kept the Sri Lankan score pegged back.
Sri Lanka vs India Match Prediction
As you would expect we are backing India to win again here. They are by far the stronger team, even with the changes to the squad. Sri Lanka needs to be more aggressive with the bat if they are to make a game of it, which we all want to see!
Sri Lanka vs India Stats
Player Stats this season
Top Batters This Season
Top Bowlers This Season
Sri Lanka Last Match vs India
|Dhananjaya de Silva|
There were some low strike rates in the Sri Lankan innings with Asalanka, 59, and de Silva 51 the worst culprits. This would have been fine if they had carried their bat for the team or had a player hitting out at the other end – they had neither.
This is likely to be another difficult match for them with both the bat and the ball.
India Last Match vs Sri Lanka
Dhawan was solid as ever and Kishan and Shaw really got into the Sri Lankan bowlers. The bowling was relentless as a unit with Yadav, Chahar, and Chahal all taking 2 wickets.
Here are some other previews you may like
- Birmingham Phoenix vs Oval Invincibles – August 4, 2021 Predictions: Can Livingstone fire Phoenix to glory?Match: Birmingham Phoenix vs Oval Invincibles Date: August 4, 2021 Start Time: 6:00pm Stadium: Edgbaston Tournament: The Hundred – 2021 – 18th Match Format: 100-Ball Birmingham Phoenix vs Oval Invincibles Stats and Trends Birmingham Phoenix Trends Played: 2 Won: 1 Lost: 1 NRR: -1.5830 Last 5 results: L, W Birmingham Phoenix has now played 4 […]
- West Indies vs Pakistan – August 3, 2021 Predictions: Will Babar Azam lead Pakistan to a series win?Match: West Indies vs Pakistan Date: August 3, 2021 Start Time: 3:00pm Stadium: Providence Stadium Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2021 – 4th T20I Format: T20I West Indies vs Pakistan Stats and Trends West Indies Trends West Indies can tie the series with a win. The current score is 1-0 after 2 matches have been washed […]
- London Spirit vs Northern Superchargers – August 3, 2021 Predictions: Why the stats point to a SuperChargers win!Match: London Spirit vs Northern Superchargers Date: August 3, 2021 Start Time: 5:30pm Stadium: Lord’s Tournament: The Hundred – 2021 – 17th Match Format: 100-Ball Result Northern Superchargers won by 63 runs London Spirit vs Northern Superchargers Stats and Trends London Spirit Trends Played: 3 Won: 0 Lost: 2 NRR: -0.4540 Last 5 results: L, […]