- Match: South Africa vs West Indies
- Date: October 26, 2021
- Start Time: 10:00am
- Stadium: Dubai International Cricket Stadium
- Tournament: ICC Men’s T20 World Cup – 2021 – 18th Match
- Format: T20I
South Africa won by 8 wickets (with 10 balls remaining)
South Africa vs West Indies Stats and Trends
South Africa Trends
- Played: 2
- Won: 1
- Lost: 1
- NRR: 0.1790
- Last 5 results: W, L
South africa started the T20 World Cup with a defeat at the hands of Australia.
Prior to this they had won thier last 3 T20 series in a row. The last one being an impressive 3-0 win over Sri Lanka.
They are without some of thier best players so this is not the best South Afrian squad that we have seen and could be stronger with Faf and AB in the team.
South Africa is ranked 5th in the world in T20 cricket.
South Africa are at odds of 8/11 to win the match with 10 Cric.
South Africa Last Match vs Australia
Australia won by 5 wickets (with 2 balls remaining)
South Africa batted first and did not get off to a good start. They were down at 23/2 and looking lost before Markhams 40 helped build the score.
Rassie van der Dussen only managed 2 after his explosive 101 off 50 in the warm up game. We were expecing more from him in and he is still our player to watch in this South African line up.
A note goes to Kagiso Rabada batting 9th who put on 19 from 23 balls to keep the score going up and get them through the 20 overs.
It was going to be a big effort from the bowlers to get a win. At 38/3 it was all going well with Australia’s top 3 failing to put on more than 15 runs each. Captain Finch, who has been a little off form latelty, was out for a duck off 5 balls. The resilaince of Smith, Maxwell and Stonis helped steady the side and they brought the win home with 2 balls to spare. Nortje was the top bowler with 2/21 from 4, excellent figures.
West Indies Trends
- Played: 2
- Won: 0
- Lost: 2
- NRR: -2.5500
- Last 5 results: L, L
West Indies are ranked 9th in the world in the T20 rankings.
Evan Lewis is ranked 9th in the world betting rankings- the highest of any of the West Indies squad. They do not have any players in the top 10 bowlers or the top 10 all-rounders.
Whilst they have a reputation as a top side they are somewhat short of the great West Indies teams of old.
West Indies Last Match vs England
England won by 6 wickets (with 70 balls remaining)
The opening match was a disaster for the West Indies with one of the worst performances with the bat from them that we have ever seen. A collapse to 55 all-out sets a very bad tone for the rest of the tournament. They will be looming to bounce back against South Africa or their World Cup campaign could already be almost over.
England won the toss and decided that they would bowl first, which will be the trend for all matches in the UAE – everyone wants to bat second. For the West Indies, the wickets kept falling, although at 27/3 you would not expect the collapse that came with the players they have.
Hetmyer, Bravo, Pooran, Pollard, Russel, McCoy and Rampaul were all out for less than 10 runs. Russel and McCoy both went for a duck, McCoy was golden. It is difficult to pinpoint where it went wrong for them but we are convinced they cannot perform that badly again. The ageing Chris Gayle was the top score with 13 runs for 13 balls. Evin Lewis hit only six of the match.
England at 20/1 looked to be strolling to the win but the Windies did manage to take some wickets. Roy, Bairstow, Ali and Livingstone all lost their wickets. If the total was closer to 100-120 then this could have been described as a good bowling performance and will give them some confidence going into this match. Hosein’s 2/24 from 4 was the best figure on the team.
Can the West Indies bat so badly against South Africa? We doubt it!
South Africa vs West Indies Match Prediction
This looks an interesting match up with both teams needing a win to get their World Cups started. We like the form of the South African team coming into this match and they were disappointed somewhat in the opening game. There were some positives to take with the ball but the top-order needs to perform better to build a good score. A score of 170 is always defendable in the UAE and this is where they need to be aiming.
The West Indies look like a team in a little disarray. They cannot rely on Chris Gayle anymore to save them, although he still adds quality to the team. The middle-order will need to perform better to avoid another collapse. In the last match, it was crying out for one of the players to put in a mature inning and just stay in for a while even at a lower run rate than usual. We would have expected one of them to have the experience to do that.
Predicted result: South Africa to win
Predicted scores if batting first:
South Africa: 170/7
West Indies: 110/9
Here are some other previews you may like
- Match: West Indies vs India Date: August 6, 2022 Start Time: 2:30pm Stadium: Central Broward Regional Park Stadium Turf Ground Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2022 – 4th T20I Format: T20I Result India won by 59 runs West Indies vs India Stats and Trends West Indies Trends West Indies and India have headed to Florida for … Read more
- Ireland vs South Africa Prediction – August 5, 2022Match: Ireland vs South Africa Date: August 5, 2022 Start Time: 5:30pm Stadium: County Ground Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2022 – 2nd T20I Format: T20I Result South Africa won by 44 runs Ireland vs South Africa Stats and Trends Ireland Trends Ireland is 1-0 down in this 2-match T20 series. They gave a very good … Read more
- Match: Netherlands vs New Zealand Date: August 4, 2022 Start Time: 3:00pm Stadium: Sportpark Westvliet Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2022 – 1st T20I Format: T20I Result New Zealand won by 16 runs Netherlands vs New Zealand Stats and Trends Netherlands Trends This match is being streamed on ICC.tv New Zealand is missing a couple of … Read more