- Match: Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Sixers
- Date: December 15, 2021
- Start Time: 8:15am
- Stadium: Melbourne Cricket Ground
- Tournament: Big Bash League – 2021/2022 – 13th Match
- Format: T20
Sydney Sixers won by 7 wickets (with 2 balls remaining)
Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Sixers Stats and Trends
Melbourne Stars Trends
- Played: 4
- Won: 2
- Lost: 2
- NRR: -1.6430
- Last 5 results: L, W, W, L
After a shocking opening match loss Melbourne Stars have bounced back with 2 good wins. They are third in the table on 7 points due to their poor net run rate – a loss of 152 runs takes some clawing back!
It was today’s opponent, Sydney Sixers, who gave them the 152 run defeat in the opening match of BBL. They will be looking to avenge that defeat here and will not want another comprehensive loss again. In that match, Melbourne Stars just did not get going with either bat or ball. They were set a huge 213 to win and just lost wicket after wicket to collapse to an appealing result – Their biggest ever defeat in BBL history.
They will need Russell and MAxwell to carry on their form from the last match where they scored well. Top T20 star Marcus Stoinis needs to show his ability, he is a player always capable of winning a T20 match when he gets into his grove. He has been a little off form in recent T20 performances but usually plays better on Australian soil.
Melbourne Stars Last Match vs Sydney Thunder
Melbourne Stars won by 6 wickets (with 17 balls remaining)
Andre Russell was the star of the show with the bat and took the player of the match award. His 42 from 21 balls left the Stars with a win in 17.1 overs and really hit home how well the stars can play. At 24/2 after 4.2 overs it looked like it could be anyone game but a solid 31 from opener Stoinis and then Maxwell and Russell made sure the win wasn’t in doubt in no time at all. This was a really good performance from them after they had faltered in the opening game. They will need more of this to beat the Sixers today.
Sydney Sixers Trends
- Played: 4
- Won: 3
- Lost: 1
- NRR: 1.6660
- Last 5 results: W, L, W, W
The Sixers had started the BBL in great from smashing runs galore and looked the team to beat early on. That was until the Hurricanes tore them apart in the last match. The Melbourne Stars are a slight favourite in betting because of this dip in form.
The Sixers will be hoping for some runs from James Vince whit scored over 500 runs in the BBL last year. The Englishman will be a key player if he gets in the runs again this season.
Tom Curran is the Sixers top bowler with 5 wickets, level with Steve O’Keefe. Curran has been much more expensive currently averaging over 10 runs per over. He needs to get this backdown or it will players will keep targetting him for runs. Curran is certainly capable of doing better than that in T20 cricket with the experience he has.
Sydney Sixers Last Match vs Hobart Hurricanes
Hobart Hurricanes won by 44 runs (D/L method)
The Sixers got absolutely smashed by the Hurricanes in this match. They were well below average and got done with both bat and ball. The Hurricanes did the damage batting first posting 214 to win which always looked a long shot for the Sixers. Tom Curran went for 46 in 3 overs and Jordan went for 51 from 4. This was an incredible batting performance by the Hurricanes and will have been a big blow to the Sixers.
The Sixers started well with Philippe getting 72, but they could not get going at the rate needed. The wickets kept falling and in the end, they were well away from the target when the rain started. To win in the match they will need to bowl a lot better than this!
Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Sixers Match Prediction
This is a really close match up and is a very tough game to call for us. The Cricketics team has sat down and discussed the match and we are completely split on who wins the match. Both team have quality players through the 11 nad both have simliar form so far. The betting sites have the Stars as the favoruites at home and they have won thier last 2 matches. The reverse fixture of this one saw the Sixers destodry the Stars and we are sure they’ll be mentioning this on the wicket!
To win the match tip: Sydney Sixers
Predicted score if batting first:
Melborne Stars 170/8
Sydney Sixers 185/4
Here are some other previews you may like
- Match: Lucknow Super Giants v Chennai Super Kings Date: 31st March 2022 Stadium: Brabourne Stadium, Mumbai Trends & Recent Form LSG and CSK meet for the first time and both lost their opening game. History points to CSK bouncing back here. We will look over the stats and the squads before making our match prediction. […]
- Match: Royal Challengers Bangalore v Kolkata Knight Riders Date: 30th Match 2022 Stadium: Dr. DY Patil Sports Academy, Navi Mumbai Trends & Recent Form Royal Challenges comes into the match looking for their first win of the IPL. KKR started well with a good win over last season’s champions – Chennai Super Kings. Here we […]
- Match: Sunrisers Hyderabad v Rajasthan Royals Date: 28th Match 2022 Stadium: Cricket Association Mumbai. Trends & Recent Form The teams predicted to be the bottom two go head to head in the first match and both will be looking to start with a win. For the third year in a row, Sunrisers are the favourites […]