- Match: Ireland vs South Africa
- Date: July 11, 2021
- Start Time: 9:45am
- Stadium: The Village
- Tournament: ICC Cricket World Cup Super League – 2020/2023 – 1st ODI
- Format: ODI
- Ireland faces South Africa in a 3 match ODI series followed by a 3 match T20 series.
- In their last series, they lost 2-1 to the Netherlands in a 3 match T20 series.
- Ireland is currently ranked 12th in the world for ODI cricket, just above Zimbabwe in 11th.
- Paul Sterling will be a key player for Ireland, he is currently ranked 20th in the world just above Australia’s Glenn Maxwell. He played well in the Netherland T20 series and will be looking to build on that here. Andrew Balbirnie is the next highest-ranked batter at 50th in the world.
- With the ball, Andy McBrine is the highest-ranked in the team at 32nd in the world for ODI bowlers. Simi Singh is next at 50th in the world. We expect that the Ireland bowlers will struggle with the South African batting lineup.
- South Africa are the 5th best ODI team in men’s world cricket. They are closing in on India in 4th place. They are 8 points behind currently.
- In their last series, South Africa beat the West Indies 3-2 in a 5 match T20 series. South Africa performed well with the ball keeping the West Indies scores down.
- Their last ODI series was against Pakistan in February this year. They lost 2-1 but did average over 300 runs across the 3 matches. Their main issue was losing wickets when chasing the game.
- Faf du Plessis is the top-rated South Africa batter. He is ranked 7th in the world. He’s not in the ODI squad but well knows star Quinton de Kock is.
- The South Africa bowling lineup has well know names from T20 cricket in and they are a very strong lineup. Ngidi and Shamsi will lead the attack and we are sure they will get wickets in this match.
- We have Rassie van der Dussen as our player to watch in this match. He played very well in the West Indies series and picked up 2 man of the match awards. Despite only coming to international cricket later in his career he looks comfortable at this level.
Ireland vs South Africa Match Prediction
You really cannot look past South Africa to get a good win in this opening ODI match. They are a considerably better team than the Ireland squad and although they will put up a good fight the class of South Africa will always win through. We are expecting too see a 3-0 win for South Africa in this series. The T20 match maybe more competitive but we would still predict another comfortable series win.
Ireland vs South Africa Stats
Player Stats this season
Top Batters This Season
|Rassie van der Dussen|
Top Bowlers This Season
Ireland Last Match vs Afghanistan
It was no surprise to see Ireland lose this match to Afghanistan and lose the series 3-0. The Afghanistan team has some exceptionally talented players and they are an outside shot to win the T20 World Cup later in the series. In this match, Paul Sterlings figures were excellent with 118 runs from 100 balls which really supported the team to build a more respectable score of 259/9. Afghanistan did chase that down in 43 overs losing just 3 wickets to seal the series win.
South Africa Last Match vs Pakistan
This was the last ODI match for South Africa, a loss to Pakistan to lose the series 2-1. South Africa could not handle Zahman and Azam of Pakistan all series.
Here are some other previews you may like
- Match: India vs Pakistan Date: October 24, 2021 Start Time: 2:00pm Stadium: Dubai International Cricket Stadium Tournament: ICC Men’s T20 World Cup – 2021 – 16th Match Format: T20I India vs Pakistan Stats and Trends India Trends India looks ready to go for the T20 World Cup after 2 very good wins in the warm-up […]
- Match: Chennai Super Kings vs Kolkata Knight Riders Date: October 15, 2021 Start Time: 2:00pm Stadium: Dubai International Cricket Stadium Tournament: Indian Premier League – 2021 – Final Format: T20 Result Chennai Super Kings won by 27 runs Chennai Super Kings vs Kolkata Knight Riders Stats and Trends Chennai Super Kings Trends Played: 14 Won: […]
- Match: Delhi Capitals vs Kolkata Knight Riders Date: October 13, 2021 Start Time: 2:00pm Stadium: Sharjah Cricket Stadium Tournament: Indian Premier League – 2021 – Qualifier 2 Format: T20 Result Kolkata Knight Riders won by 3 wickets (with 1 ball remaining) Delhi Capitals vs Kolkata Knight Riders Stats and Trends Delhi Capitals Trends Played: 14 […]