- Match: Chennai Super Kings vs Mumbai Indians
- Date: September 19, 2021
- Start Time: 2:00pm
- Stadium: Sheikh Zayed Stadium
- Tournament: Indian Premier League – 2021 – 30th Match
- Format: T20
Chennai Super Kings won by 20 runs
Chennai Super Kings vs Mumbai Indians Stats and Trends
Chennai Super Kings Trends
- Played: 8
- Won: 6
- Lost: 2
- NRR: 1.2230
- Last 5 results: W, L, W, W, W
After a 6 month delay, the IPL is back. The tournament kicks off with CSK v MI and then there are another 30 matches before the final on the 13th of October. Here we look over the two teams’ form and any changes they have made before we make our first IPL prediction of the restart.
Before the break, CSK was playing well and they sit in second place in the table with 5 wins from 7 and a +1.263 NRR. This is the highest of any team so far!
After losing the first match of the 2021 IPL to Dehli Capitals they went on a 5 match winning streak. This saw some big wins over RCB, PBKS, and RR, hence the high net run rate.
The steak came to an end in the last match where they lost to today’s opponents, Mumbai Indians in an epic match. We will look at his in more depth further down our preview.
Chennai beat Mumbai in the 2020 group stages with is their only win over them in the last 6 head to head meetings. They have won just 3 of the last 13 meetings going back to 2014.
Chennai Super Kings Top Batters
|Faf du Plessis|
Faf du Plessis was the top scorer for CSK and had been going well in the CPL. Unfortunately, he has suffered a groin injury and it is still unclear when o if he will play in this IPL. The second highest scorer for the team, Moeen Ali, has returned to CSK after some good performances in England over the summer.
Chennai Super Kings Top Bowlers
Top bowler Sam Curran, joined the team a couple of days late but that should not affect his involvement in this match as he was coming from another secure bubble.
Chennai Super Kings Last Match vs Royal Challengers Bangalore
CSK set an impressive target of 219 to win and lost the match on the very last ball. They had MI at 81/3 on 9.4 overs and looked like they would cruise to victory until Kieron Pollard smashed to around the park!
Mumbai Indians Trends
- Played: 8
- Won: 4
- Lost: 4
- NRR: -0.0710
- Last 5 results: L, W, W, L, L
Mumbai Indians are 4th in the table. If their recent IPL form is to go by they will easily qualify for the knockout stages.
MI was the pre-tournament favorite but they have not lived up to that hype this year. They opened the IPL with a loss, as they usually do, and struggled for runs early in the tournament.
In the last 2 matches, things changed though and they chased down 172 and 219 to win both matches. Prior to this 159 was their highest score.
The UAE wickets and conditions should really suit Mumbai Indian space bowlers. With Bunmrah and Boult on the side, they have serious quality and will pose most sides problems. We see playing in the UAE as a big advantage to the Indian’s chances of winning the IPL 2021.
Mumbai has not added any extra players to their squad.
Mumbai Indians Top Batters
Sharma will have a big part to play as you would expect. Kieron Polland has been in fantastic form in the CPL where he’s just smashed a 50 from 20 balls. He may be too late to join up for this match, however. Chris Lynn returns.
Mumbai Indians Top Bowlers
Chahar, Boult & Bumrah are going to get some wickets on the UAE pitches. It will really suit the fast bowlers.
Mumbai Indians Last Match vs Delhi Capitals
The last match was against CSK where they chased down 2019 to win.
Chennai Super Kings vs Mumbai Indians Match Prediction
The opening game of any tournament is tough to call. This is a strange situation with half the matches played and a new country to play the rest in. How the teams adapt to this environment will be key to their chances. CSK had started well and will want to build on that. They have been hampered by the injury to star man Faf du Plessis.
Mumbai Indians started their title defense slowly compared to the IPL 2020. Moving to the UAE really suits them and their fast bowlers. We think this will be critical for this match, giving Mumbai the upper hand.
Match Prediction: Mumbai Indians to win
Predicted scores if batting first:
Chennai Super Kings: 135-150/8
Mumbai Indians: 180-190/5
Dream 11 players to watch
- Trent Boult
- Japsrit Bumrah
- Moeen Ali
- Ravindra Jadeja
Here are some other previews you may like
- Match: Sussex vs Kent Date: September 18, 2021 Start Time: 1:30pm Stadium: Edgbaston Tournament: T20 Blast – 2021 – Semi Final Format: T20 Result Kent won by 21 runs Sussex vs Kent Stats and Trends Sussex Trends Played: 14 Won: 6 Lost: 3 NRR: 0.4790 Last 5 results: W, L, W, W, L The semi-finals […]
- Match: Hampshire vs Somerset Date: September 18, 2021 Start Time: 10:00am Stadium: Edgbaston Tournament: T20 Blast – 2021 – Semi Final Format: T20 Result Somerset won by 2 wickets (with 2 balls remaining) Hampshire vs Somerset Stats and Trends Hampshire Trends Played: 14 Won: 6 Lost: 5 NRR: 0.3880 Last 5 results: W, W, W, […]
- Match: Punjab Kings vs Rajasthan Royals Date: September 21, 2021 Start Time: 2:00pm Stadium: Dubai International Cricket Stadium Tournament: Indian Premier League – 2021 – 32nd Match Format: T20 Result Rajasthan Royals won by 2 runs Punjab Kings vs Rajasthan Royals Stats and Trends Punjab Kings Trends Played: 9 Won: 3 Lost: 6 NRR: -0.3450 […]