- Match: India vs New Zealand
- Date: October 31, 2021
- Start Time: 2:00pm
- Stadium: Dubai International Cricket Stadium
- Tournament: ICC Men’s T20 World Cup – 2021 – 28th Match
- Format: T20I
New Zealand won by 8 wickets (with 33 balls remaining)
India vs New Zealand Stats and Trends
India is 5th in the table after the shock opening match defeat to Pakistan, which we will look at further down the page. India has had a week break since this game.
They will be looking for a needed win against New Zealand who also lost their opening game to Pakistan.
With Pakistan potently sitting on 3 wins from 3 by the time India pays this all be a key matchup between 2 of the best teams in the world. Before the tournament started we had India as the favourites with England and New Zealand second and third.
India has all the firepower to win they just need to perform. There may be some changes to the starting 11 for this match with a number of high profile ex-cricketers suggesting changes to the bowling lineup.
At high profile ICC events, New Zealand has a winning run over India of 5 matches going back to 2003. They knocked India out of the World Cup in 2019 and just beat them in ICC test final earlier this year.
We would like to see Ishan Kishan open with Sharma in this match. The team could do with a little shaking up to improve.
India Last Match vs Pakistan
Pakistan won by 10 wickets (with 13 balls remaining)
India had a slow start losing both of their openers early in the match. At 6/2 it needed good innings from Kohli to help build the score. His 57 from 49 balls was a steady performance on what looked like a reasonable wicket for the bowlers. India score 151 which looked like an okay score to defend. In the UAE 170 would have been a better score and closer to par on with wicket. With India’s bowling attack this still looked like a good chance of an Indian win.
The Pakistan openers played an excellent match, chasing the score down in 17.5 overs. They did not lose a wicket and showed what good form they are in. After this, they won their next two matches as well to lead the group.
New Zealand Trends
New Zealand also started the super 12 stages badly losing to Pakistan. They sit 4th in the table after their one match. Whoever loses this match faces a battle to qualify for the knockout stages as you would expect Pakistan to go through as they only have Namibia and Scotland to play.
Adam Milne is hoping to start and make an impact in this match. He was called in as an injury replacement for Lockie Ferguson but did not get his ICC clearance though in time to face Pakistan.
Martin Guptil, who was an injury doubt, is expected to be fit for this match based on the latest news from the New Zealand camp.
Tim Southee has been talking about India being a quality side and how they have been focusing on this match. He will need to improve his economy figures if New Zealand is to get a better result here.
New Zealand Last Match vs Pakistan
Pakistan won by 5 wickets (with 8 balls remaining)
New Zealand made a solid start in this match with the top 3 batsmen putting on some runs. The main issue was the strike rate with Guptil on 85 and Kane Williamson on 96. They really needed to get the board moving more but were pegged back by an impressive Pakistan team. 134/8 just did not look good enough a score to defend after the performance of Pakistan in the opening match.
In defence of the target, New Zealand made a good start with the danger man Azam going for just 9. At 87/5 the match looked well poised for a tight finish. Watching at that point we felt if they could get a couple more wickets then they would be on target to get a win. Then Asif Ali came in and showed what he could do bludgeoning 27 off 12 balls at a strike rate of 225. He then went on to do the same against Afghanistan building his reputation as a finisher in this tournament.
India vs New Zealand Match Prediction
This is looking like it will be a fantastic match. Both of the teams are top teams with great players. New Zealand has a couple of players back from injury and India have the opportunity to mix the team up for this match. As we’ve mentioned above we’d like to see Kishan and Sharma open for the right-hander and left-hander combination.
India needs to offer a little bit more than they did against Pakistan and if batting first gets past 170 runs. In this tournament so far we have not seen a low score defended yet. West Indies 142 is the lowest 1st innings score that has seen a sin. In most cases, the team batting second wins so winning the toss gives the teams an advantage.
Predicted result: India to win in a close match
Predicted scores if batting first:
New Zealand 150-165/8
Here are some other previews you may like
- Match: West Indies vs India Date: August 6, 2022 Start Time: 2:30pm Stadium: Central Broward Regional Park Stadium Turf Ground Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2022 – 4th T20I Format: T20I Result India won by 59 runs West Indies vs India Stats and Trends West Indies Trends West Indies and India have headed to Florida for … Read more
- Ireland vs South Africa Prediction – August 5, 2022Match: Ireland vs South Africa Date: August 5, 2022 Start Time: 5:30pm Stadium: County Ground Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2022 – 2nd T20I Format: T20I Result South Africa won by 44 runs Ireland vs South Africa Stats and Trends Ireland Trends Ireland is 1-0 down in this 2-match T20 series. They gave a very good … Read more
- Match: Netherlands vs New Zealand Date: August 4, 2022 Start Time: 3:00pm Stadium: Sportpark Westvliet Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2022 – 1st T20I Format: T20I Result New Zealand won by 16 runs Netherlands vs New Zealand Stats and Trends Netherlands Trends This match is being streamed on ICC.tv New Zealand is missing a couple of … Read more