Match: England tour of India, 2nd Test
Date: 13th February 21
Time: 9.30 am India
Stadium: MA Chidambaram Stadium
Ranking: 2nd in the world
Last Match: England won by 227 runs
1st Innings: 337 all out
2nd Innings: 192 all out
World Ranking: 4th in the world
Last Match: England won by 227 runs
1st Innings: 578 all out (ENG batted 1st)
2nd Innings: 178 all out
Trends & Recent Form
India test form
- Virat Kohli has now lost his last 4 consecutive test matches as Indian captain.
- Ashwin was the top bowler in the first test taking 9 wickets across the two innings. His figures of 6/61 in the 2nd innings were particularly impressive.
- With the bat, Kohli, Pant and Sundar all performed well.
- Half-centuries were scored by Pujara, Pant, Sundar, Gill & Kohli.
- Nadeem had back to back ducks, Rahane got 1 & 0. These scores will need to improve if they are to win this test.
- India had 5 ducks and 11 players failing to get into double figures in the 1st test.
- England is in excellent form across all versions of the game had their world-class talent showed in the 1st test – which India was expected to win comfortably.
- Joe Root top-scored in the first innings with 218 from 377 balls before Nadeem had him LBW, he will be the danger man again in the 2nd test.
- Root top-scored in both England’s innings, although his 40 in the second inning was less impressive. He also fell LBW this time to Bumrah.
- Half-centuries were scored by Sibley, Root and Stokes.
- Dom Bless was the top bowler in the 1st innings taking 4/76.
- England has now won their last 6 away tests in a row.
Match Prediction & Tips
This looks perfectly poised for a great test match. India is still the 2nd best test team in the world and on home soil. England will be full of confidence after their last win. The bookmakers still have India as the odds on favourites to win this test. If India does not win then there will be some serious questions about Kohli’s captaincy.
Match Result: England to win at 13/5 with 22 bet – Full odds here.
We hate to go against India but the value in backing England here is clear to see at these odds.
They have players in solid form with Root flying and backed up by the always impressive Ben Stokes.
With the ball, Anderson produced one of the best periods of reverse swing bowling that we have seen on Indian soil in a test.
We think there is an advantage to whichever team bats first on this wicket so we will place an additional stake if England wins the toss and chooses to bat again.
Kohli was far from happy with things after the 1st teat and know both his team and himself are under pressure here.
After the test he said –
“The reality of the situation is that the pitch was very flat and slow.
I’m not saying that as an excuse and that we will hold onto as a team. But you have to understand the reality of what went on.
That was the case in the first two days. Even day three when the wicket really started to change. Before that, it was a really flat and slow pitch. ”
For a full test, we have some extra tips where we have seen some real value on offer.
- Tip 1: Ashwin over 6.5 match wickets
Note: This is over both innings.
Ashwin was the main man in the second innings taking 6/61. He will be relishing the opportunity to bowl again after such a performance. An alternative in this market is Bumrah at over 4.5 wickets which seems a fair line to take.
- Tip 2: Ben Stokes over 0.5 sixes
Again this is for the total match, not just the first innings. Stokes is a well known big hitter and got 2 sixes in the 1st test. Even in test cricket, he is happy to go over the ropes when he gets a chance.
Based on the stats we think, sadly, that England will win the 2nd test match.
The second test starts at 9.30am on Saturday 13th February.
Like this preview? why not share it?
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on tumblr
Share on reddit
Here are some other previews you may like