- Match: England vs Pakistan
- Date: July 8, 2021
- Start Time: 12:00pm
- Stadium: Sophia Gardens
- Tournament: ICC Cricket World Cup Super League – 2020/2023 – 1st ODI
- Format: ODI
England won by 9 wickets (with 169 balls remaining)
- England’s plans were thrown away after being forced to change their entire first 11 the day before this match. A new first 11 and management team has been drafted in.
- Ben Stokes has returned to the team as captain despite previously being declared unfit for the first match by captain Eoin Morgan a week ago. Hopefully, this match will not hamper his recovery schedule with the IPL set to return in 2 months.
- Dawid Malwan has also returned to the squad. He was left out of the one-day squad by request for personal reasons but has stepped up when England needed him for this match.
- England comes into this match on the back of thumping Sri Lanka in their ODI and T20 tour without losing a match. There was a clear gulf in class between the two teams and England punished them for this. The change in team and the quality of Pakistan will make this a completely different tour and it will be tricky for England to focus on all the changes they have had.
- There are 9 uncapped players in the 18 man squad so there will be an opportunity for players to make a name for themselves with a chance they would not have got. No matter how bad things get England still do not want to call on Alex Hales – he’s still out in the cold from a disciplinary issue in the 2019 World Cup, if this doesn’t get him back then nothing will!
- Pakistans preparation has been unhampered and this could well benefit them in the opening match. They will face an England attack that they are less aware of but England will be missing some big key players and that will be a bonus for Pakistan.
- Azam Khan is making his debut at 22 and is defiantly a player to watch here. His dad is a former international wicket-keeper and he is a player with bags of potential. If he plays he could have a big impact on the game with his style of play, we will be keeping an eye out for him.
- Babar Azam will captain the team and he was in fantastic form in the recent PSL. He will be the main danger man to England and will be looking to score freely in the ODI format before they head to a T20 series.
- In T20 and ODI cricket Pakistan has lost 5-10 to England over the last 7 years. They perform much better against England in red-ball cricket but this series now offers them a chance to get things right on the English wickets.
England vs Pakistan Match Prediction
Three days ago we would have predicted a comfortable England win here. Despite their averages, the record of Pakistan against the higher-ranked nations is poor. They are the experts at picking of lesser opposition but at times fall apart when they are up against a stubborn test like they would have been in this match.
In the last 2 days, everything has changed though with the wholesale changes to the English team. Ben Stokes will pose a threat as always, he’s a world-class cricketer been though he’s been out for a few months. The changes to the team will be hard to implement a style and they will rely on the experience of some of the players and hope for the best.
Match prediction – Pakistan to win
There are so many unknowns in this match that it is almost impossible to call. Pushed for a winner the Cricketics team almost unanimously went for a Pakistan win. We will be watching this closely though to see how the players perform and how the game pans out for the remaining matches in the ODI series. With a comprehensive win, Pakistan could lay down a marker for the rest of the series.
England vs Pakistan Stats
Player Stats this season
Top Batters This Season
Top Bowlers This Season
England Last Match vs Sri Lanka
This was the 4th match in an ODI series with Sri Lanka, England won 3-0 after this match was called off due to the wonderful English weather!
Pakistan Last Match vs Zimbabwe
In their last match, against Zimbabwe, they had a comfortable win to see out a 2 match test series with ease. Both matches were won by over an innings. Prior to that, they won a T20 series, again against Zimbabwe, 2-1. The tour took place in Pakistan.
Here are some other previews you may like
- Betway 4 to score – CricketBetway has a great game to play for cricket fans – 4 to score. This is a free game to play and is available on selected cricket matches, usually including India games and the IPL. You can win up to ₹1,00,000, although recently there has not been many winners. All you need is a Betway […]
- Top 10 IPL earnings in real time. You won’t believe your eyes!The Indian Premier League is packed full of the worlds very best cricketers. Sports stars at the top of their game or profession mean they can command the biggest pay checks and IPL cricketers are no exception. We’ve found the top 10 IPL earners. The sums involved are quite staggering when real time earnings can […]
- There have been some magnificent cricketers throughout the years. Some incredibly fast-paced bowlers such as Brett Lee and Shoaib Akhtar as well as some phenomenal spin bowlers, none better than Shane Warne. Elite sportsmen and women will always look for the edge. The extra 1% that turns the competition in their favour. None more so […]