- Match: England vs Pakistan
- Date: July 13, 2021
- Start Time: 12:00pm
- Stadium: Edgbaston
- Tournament: ICC Cricket World Cup Super League – 2020/2023 – 3rd ODI
- Format: ODI
England won by 3 wickets (with 12 balls remaining)
- England now has a 2-0 lead over Pakistan in this 3 match ODI series. They had to a 3 match T20 series starting on Friday 16th after this.
- England is expecting to have a full squad back for the T20 series, although the second 11 have played very well.
- In the last match, England recovered from 21/2 to 118/3 with Phil Salt (60 runs) and James Vince (58 runs) making a good stand to build the score. England lost 4 players without getting to double figures including Malan and Crawley, both of ducks, who were batting 2nd and 3rd in the order. England finished on 247 all out.
- With the ball, Mahmood performed well again taking figures of 2/21 from 8, including the scalp of Azam. Lewis Gregory was the top bowler with 3/44 from 8. All of England’s bowlers took a wicket in the match.
- In the first match of the series, Mahmood was also in devastating form taking 4/42 in 10 overs. He has really stepped up to international cricket when given the chance here. England had Pakistan all out for 141 in 35.2 over, this was a very poor performance from Pakistan who has looked well off the pace in both matches. England chased the score down in 21.5 overs losing just 1 wicket.
- It is hard to see anything other than another England win here looking at the trends and data.
After the last match current captain, Eoin Morgan, said –
“15 of the current squad in isolation. Buttler and Archer injured. What Ben Stokes and the team have achieved is incredible. Looking forward to watching the next game!”Eoin Morgan (Via Twitter)
- Pakistan has struggled to get to grips with this England 2nd 11 since the opening match. They should have had the strength and quality to make a real game of this ODI series but have mainly been a letdown.
- In the last match, Hasan Ali was very unlucky to be on the losing side with his performance. He took 5/51 with the ball after ripping through some of England’s top orders. He then hit 31 from 17 balls to try and get Pakistan closer to the total before eventually losing his wicket. He was unlucky not to get the player of the match award, although it is rare to see a losing player get the award.
- Babar Azam has not hit his stride in the 2 matches so far, getton 0 in the first match and just 19 in the 2nd. As the captain and best batter Pakistan have if they are to get a win he could do with a big performance in this match. A result here will not impact the series result but it will set them in a good place to attack the T20 series where Azam thrives.
- No players for Pakistan have put in a decent performance in both matches. They need to find something to get themselves going for this last ODI match to avoid a white wash.
After the last match captain Babar Azam said –
“We didn’t start well with the bat, lost back-to-back wickets, and couldn’t put up partnerships. We will try to overcome all our mistakes in the next match, Hassan Ali was outstanding and Saud Shakeel showed his potential. We see the next match as a good opportunity, and points are still at stake”Babar Azam speaking after the 2nd ODI
England vs Pakistan Match Prediction
On the surface this looks like it should be another England win- it’s hard to go against a team 2-0 up in a series when the wins have been comprehensive. Pakistan still has the quality to get a good score and trouble England but they will have to be back on top of their game and that isn’t easy to just turn on. With Azam they have an excellent player, he just need to get a big score for them to have a chance.
The Cricketics team have discussed the match and are unanimous in going for another England win! We do all think the T20 series will be different and Pakistan will post more of a problem for England over 20 overs. The T20 World Cup is approaching and all the players know they need to perform to get into the squad.
England vs Pakistan Stats
Player Stats this season
Top Batters This Season
Top Bowlers This Season
England Last Match vs Pakistan
England was solid in the last match. The score of 247 all out did seem a little low but the bowlers performed well as a unit and did the damage to Pakistans attack when needed. The scalp of Azam at 21/2 really swung the match in Englands favour.
Pakistan Last Match vs England
Hasan Ali was the standout performer in this match. Saud Shakeel is good player coming through and has a lot of potential, he’ll be one to watch again in this match.
Here are some other previews you may like
- Birmingham Phoenix vs Oval Invincibles – August 4, 2021 Predictions: Can Livingstone fire Phoenix to glory?Match: Birmingham Phoenix vs Oval Invincibles Date: August 4, 2021 Start Time: 7:00pm Stadium: Edgbaston Tournament: The Hundred – 2021 – 18th Match Format: 100-Ball Birmingham Phoenix vs Oval Invincibles Stats and Trends Birmingham Phoenix Trends Played: 2 Won: 1 Lost: 1 NRR: -1.5830 Last 5 results: L, W Birmingham Phoenix has now played 4 […]
- West Indies vs Pakistan – August 3, 2021 Predictions: Will Babar Azam lead Pakistan to a series win?Match: West Indies vs Pakistan Date: August 3, 2021 Start Time: 3:00pm Stadium: Providence Stadium Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2021 – 4th T20I Format: T20I West Indies vs Pakistan Stats and Trends West Indies Trends West Indies can tie the series with a win. The current score is 1-0 after 2 matches have been washed […]
- London Spirit vs Northern Superchargers – August 3, 2021 Predictions: Why the stats point to a SuperChargers win!Match: London Spirit vs Northern Superchargers Date: August 3, 2021 Start Time: 5:30pm Stadium: Lord’s Tournament: The Hundred – 2021 – 17th Match Format: 100-Ball London Spirit vs Northern Superchargers Stats and Trends London Spirit Trends Played: 3 Won: 0 Lost: 2 NRR: -0.4540 Last 5 results: L, N, L London Spirit is the worst-performing […]