Date: 25th May 2021
Format: ODI – 2nd of 3 match series, Bangladesh leads 1-0
Trends & Recent Form
The 3 match series kicked off with a good win for the Bangladesh side as predicted in our first match preview. They are back for the 2nd match with the same lineups to be expected. The odds have now moved to make Bangladesh the favourites as you would expect from the first match win.
Here we will look at the stats from the opening match and identify the players in form.
- Top Batsman: Mushfiqur Ramin
- Top Bowler: Mehidy Hasan
Latest stats and trends
- Bangladesh won the toss in the first game and elected to bat first. After losing the opener, Liton Das, for a duck they built up a good score of 257/6.
- Mushfiqur Ramin was the top scorer with 84, Tamim Iqbal and Mahmudullah also got half-centuries (52 & 53 respectively).
- Ramin took the man of the match award. He described it as a difficult match to play, the conditions were very hot and humid and it was not an easy wicket to bat on. He described himself as not a big hitter but a player who plays to his strengths and keeps the scoreboard moving. He hit 1 six and 4 fours in his 86.
- With the ball, Bangladesh took a steady stream of wickets to keep the score down. Eventually getting Sri Lanka all out for 224 in 48.1 overs.
- Mehidy Hasan was the top-performing bowler with 4/30 from 10 overs. An economy rate of 3 in ODI cricket is always impressive.
Sri Lanka form
- Top Batsman: Wanindu Hasaranga
- Top Bowler: Dhananjaua de Silva
Latest stats and trends
- Sri Lanka struggled to take wickets at key times. With Bangladesh at 99/4, they looked to be going well. Unfortunately for them, the 5th wicket did not fall until 208 runs were on the ball.
- The last 2 batsmen also cost them putting on 27 after the last wicket fell at 230/6 at the start of the 47th over. A score of 225 would have been chasable in these conditions.
- Sri Lanka has a number of players on the bench if they wish to rotate and freshen up. We would expect to see a couple of changes to the side for this match.
- 3 of the top 6 Sri Lanka batters was out for single figures. Only Wanindu Hasaranga, batting 8th, score more than 30 runs. He hit 5 sixes and 3 fours getting 74 off 60 balls before pulling one to deep mid-wicket. Without him, this would have been an embarrassing defeat.
- Captain Kusal Perera was full of praise for the bowling attack and said that 250 should have been chasable. He left the blame full at the top order batsmen for not doing enough. He also said that the conditions suited Hasaranga with the ball, he will be the player to watch again in this match.
Match Prediction & Tips
Match Prediction: Sri Lanka to win at 6/5*
We are going for a Sri Lanka win here as the odds* are good value to us. Whilst the Bangladesh team performed well in the first match we saw enough from the Lankan bowlers to show that they can cause problems.
With 1 or 2 top-order batsmen getting a score Sri Lanka will pose some problems to this Bangladesh lineup. After the heat and humidity of the last match, Sri Lanka is more likely to freshen things up and that could work in their favour too. This should be a good match to watch.
Score prediction (If batting first)
Bangladesh – 240/7
Sri Lanka – 260/5
We have an extra prediction for today’s match –
- Pick 1: Wanindu Hasaranga MOTM 10/1
In excellent form and the conditions will suit him again. Was very unlucky not to get the player of the match award in the first ODI, despite losing the match.
*Odds & Responsible gambling
All odds that appear are subject to change at any time. They are correct as stated at the time of publishing the article and are taken from various betting sites in India.
Please gamble responsibly, no tips or bets are guaranteed to win. Do not bet more than you can afford to lose. For help with problem gambling please visit gamblingtherapy.org.
Like this preview? why not share it?
Here are some other previews you may like
Match: Ireland vs South Africa Date: August 5, 2022 Start Time: 5:30pm Stadium: County Ground Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2022 – 2nd T20I Format: T20I Result South Africa won by
Match: Netherlands vs New Zealand Date: August 4, 2022 Start Time: 3:00pm Stadium: Sportpark Westvliet Tournament: Twenty20 International – 2022 – 1st T20I Format: T20I Result New Zealand won by